Workout total time: 30 mins
Go-time 35 secs, Rest-time 15 secs (you can use MyTabata app)
Break in between intervals: 1 min
Don’t forget to warm up and cool down for at least 5 mins each.
- jumping jacks
- sumo squats
- basic crunch
- knee-to-chest running
- jumping lunges (or basic lunge)
- downward-dog push-up
- leg raises on your back
- fast legs (side to inside): run really fast on the spot, moving your legs outer to inner (anyone know how this is called? 😀 )
- criss-cross abs
- side plank with hip raise (both sides)
If you want to join, follow my meetup.
What is interval jogging, you ask?
It’s a HIIT-style workout, but for jogging. Instead of running continuously in the same rhythm for miles or hours at a constant heart rate, we make it harder (and more efficient for fat burn and resistance building) by bringing your heart rate up and then lowering it, alternatively. Works like magic to shock your body, get it out of its comfort zone and therefore increasing metabolism and not developing a plateau.
Warm-up (5 mins)
- basic stretching of knee and Achillean tendons, hips and calfs
- easy run with different techniques: knee up, knee to the bottom, skipping, etc.
Intervals (20 mins)
Alternate rest time with go time
- Time: 10 mins
- Sets/Repeats: 5
- Go time: 1 min
- Rest time: 1 min
- Time: 10 mins
- Sets/Repeats: 5
- Go time: 1:30 mins
- Rest time: 30 secs
Mat work (10 mins)
- Basic crunches (30 reps)
- Crunches with knee at 90 degrees (30 reps)
- Crunches with legs up (until complete fail)
- Side plank with hip raise on each side (until complete fail)
Cool-down (10 mins)
- Yoga-style stretch: stretching of calfs, quads, hams and glutes (love the last ones)
Just so you know, since I quit my job and started working on my own, one of the things I am missing the most is interacting with groups of people. I am not reaching my words per day quota :D.
So I started looking into what I am doing on a daily basis to find different places I can “insert” more people. One of them is my workout regime. Since I am doing it almost every morning (and/or evening), why not have other people join me? I can help with my discipline and experience, while they can just make it more interactive for me.
So, here it comes. I created this meetup: Clapham Morning Booster. Worst case, I continue working out on my own, best case, I get to meet new people. What can go wrong :P?
This time I am documenting the kettlebell workout I did this morning.
- Execution time (with warmup and cooldown): approx. 30 mins
- Interval repeat: 3 times (or until absolute fail of every exercise)
- Active period per exercise: 45 seconds
- Rest period per exercise: 15 seconds
Bridge lifts (with kettlebell)
I’ve been asked so many times what type of workouts I do in the functional area on my own. So I decided to give as an example the workout I did today. By the way, I am very proud I managed to go to the gym so much earlier today than the usual 🙂
The way I’ve been working out lately is in 3 intervals, tabata style. I repeat each interval twice, each exercise in an interval is 35-40 secs long with a break of 10 secs in between. You can easily use apps to time everything. The one I use is MyTabata. The whole workout should last somewhere around 30 mins, which is great in the morning, before going to work. Plus, you’ll slowly notice a dramatic increase in your metabolism.
Note! Don’t forget to warmup and cooldown/stretch at the end! I can’t emphasize enough how important these two parts are. Yes! You out there who at the end of a class/workout decide to walk around the room and rack your equipment while everyone else is stretching, stop it. Do your stretching or we won’t see you for long in the gym! 😉
- Jumping Jacks
- Squat jumps
- Boat abs with leg drops
- High knees
- One leg box jump
- Leg raises
- Sumo squats
- Burpees with jump
- Box/step jump
- Side plank with hip raise
- Criss-cross abs